Thursday, May 07, 2015

My Name is Marsha Hull and I am an Addict...

        Hi, this is me. My name is Marsha Hull and I am an addict.  I am addicted to all things pertaining to the spirit of Jesus Christ.  I can't get enough.  Everyday when I am sinful, lonely, or lost, I crave the forgiveness and blessings of His spirit.  I need His atonement in my life. No matter how far away I find myself from Him, I yearn for peace that only He can give.

        Ok, seriously...well I was serious. I really do crave the spirit of Christ.  I have tried too many times to "get through" this life without Him.  And I forget my self-worth when I push Him away.

        Every once in a while, (wish it were more) I find the time to sit down at the piano and sing songs of praise to my Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ.  It truly reminds me of the testimony I have of them.  Today, I had the opportunity to play and sing.  As a result, I have felt impressed to write this blog.

        I am going to be posting some songs that I recorded today.  Now keep in mind this was recorded by my means of...oh...well...yeah...my cell phone. ;) "Some day" I will own the equipment to have my own recording studio.  This is my dream.  You will find that the recordings aren't perfect. You will hear my kids making loud noises in the background, my page turning and it won't sound like the recording you would hear from a professional. However, the point isn't on how it is done, nor how imperfect I might sound on the piano or in my singing, it is that these songs have messages that I need and that maybe someone else needs, dunno.

        I recently started a night job cleaning an office building.  It has in many, many, many ways been a struggle for my family.  But in many, many, many other ways, a blessing in disguise for me. Because the job entails vacuuming, emptying trash cans, dusting, etc. I have the opportunity to put some earbuds in and listen to music, or whatever else I choose.  In the beginning I thought "Sweet!! I can listen to church music, conference talks, maybe even the scriptures." Very quickly after that thought, another one came.  "But if you do that you will slow down, and might not get your work done on time." I gave into the second thought that first week of work.  By the end of that week, I felt like something was missing.  I was kind of tired of all the hip hop, modern day jumbo.  Not to mention there were songs that came on Pandora I know I have heard my kids sing and couldn't believe the message behind the song.  I'm pretty confident my kids are oblivious to the meaning, but still...this is filling their minds with junk.  And it was filling my mind with junk as well.

       So...my mind went back to my original thought of listening to church music or something more spiritual.  I was introduced to "The Mormon Channel".  LOVE IT!!  I found myself with a "different" energy that could only come from listening to things of the spirit.  I mixed things up between listening to music, music with a message, general conference messages and listening to the scriptures. My thoughts have since been turned to reflect on how far I really have gone away from the things of the spirit.  I heard this particular song on one of the music with a message programs. It brought me back to my days as a full time missionary. I truly want and have craved the feelings of the spirit I felt during that year and a half of my life.

       This song is called "Feel the Fire". Words and Music by Julie de Azevedo and Tyler Castleton.
For whatever reason this won't play on google chrome. But Firefox allows for it.  Here is the link to the song. The first link is to an mp3 the other is an m4a file. Don't know if it will make a difference. 


https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_K-Wx2cp0jycDlpY3JOWnR1MWc/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_K-Wx2cp0jyNTJUR1loVDRqeGM/view?usp=sharing


        This is honestly how I have been feeling as of late. When we neglect the basic principles of the gospel of Jesus Christ, it's easy to see the flames of our testimonies dwindle.  I offer up a few basic principles that we must remember in order for our lives to be filled with peace.  Not trial free, but full of peace.

        First:  We CAN NOT neglect our own personal daily scripture study.  It's sometimes hard to find time to pick up the scriptures. I know, I have used that same excuse for too many years now.  I still haven't picked them up... :)  Because, now I listen to them.  It is absolutely amazing what lessons I am learning from hearing them, rather than reading them.  One of the first things I have learned, is that history repeats itself.  The people of the church today are no different than the people of the church in the scriptures.  Members of Christ's church fell away then just as they are now.  It has been a reoccurring theme in the scriptures.  However, this is not my focus, really and truly it has been the amazing faith that our brothers and sisters of old had.  There is SO much to be learned from them.  In the book of Alma of the Book of Mormon we learn about faith.  Faith is like a little seed, if planted it will grow.  If nourished, it will continue to thrive.

        The next song is about the many examples of faith. And I am truly amazed by them. This is called "Amazing Things". Written by Julie de Azevedo and Tom Hopkins, Arranged by Derek Brown.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_K-Wx2cp0jyN1JkSDFrd0FOUjA/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_K-Wx2cp0jyaS1TdVN1YUVSZGc/view?usp=sharing

        We can all be "Mother Teresa's", "President Monsons", "the 2000 stripling warriors" and more, if we have faith enough.  When we study the scriptures, we invite the spirit to teach us and direct us to do good. We forget about ourselves and we go to work doing good in this world.

        Second:  We MUST get on our knees in constant communication with our Father in Heaven.  We MUST forget about the things of this world and have heart to hearts with Him.  And if we struggle to pray, and feel it isn't real, we get on our knees and ask Him to help us get there. And we do that until it IS real and we feel the spirit in our lives again.  I personally am not the greatest example of one who is on their knees all the time.  But, I know when I feel the spirit, and when I sing in praises to Him, I feel it is a prayer.  I will get better. Because I know that I can only become stronger by doing such.  And I can only "get through" this life by getting on my knees and asking for help and showing gratitude for all of my many blessings, and they are many!!

        This next song I stumbled across while serving my mission.  This is entitled "A Prayer From The Heart" Words by Barbara Tanner and Music by Lex de Azevedo.




https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_K-Wx2cp0jydnFPWXo2ODIwMlE/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_K-Wx2cp0jySFh1cWl6b0dpTWc&authuser=0

       We all go through many trials in our lives and sometimes we wonder if it can get any worse. Whatever those trials may be, and no matter how hard they are, we CAN get through them if we are close to the things of the spirit.  They won't go away, and maybe they will get harder, but I know that as we live each day and not neglect the things that matter most, we will live a more peaceful and fulfilling life.

        Last but certainly not least, we MUST come unto Christ.  We MUST partake of the His atoning sacrifice.  We MUST apply this to our lives daily.  He is the life and the way.  Only by Him can we return to our Father in Heaven again.  I have a testimony of Jesus Christ, I have felt His atonement in my life and I know He lives! I have been the recipient of many miracles and blessings in my life.

        The last song is an invitation for all to "Come Unto Christ". Yes that is the title, and it has been around since I was a youth.  I loved it then, and I love it now! Jesus Christ is where we will find peace. He is the path to eternal life!!

        "Come Unto Christ" Words and Music by Julie de Azevedo (geepers another Azevedo song: I didn't realize until). Arranged by Clive Romney


https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_K-Wx2cp0jySGlJaFBTNUpraFk/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_K-Wx2cp0jyS2t6U3o5cmd3MTg/view?usp=sharing




     

No comments:

Post a Comment

Here are my thoughts.